Your use of the Services means that you accept, and agree to abide by, all the policies in this acceptable use policy. You must comply with the spirit of this Acceptable Use Policy.
Words defined in our Terms of Service shall have the same meaning in this Acceptable Use Policy.
You may use our site or the services we provide only for lawful purposes. You may not use our site or services:
- In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation;
- In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect;
- For the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way;
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam);
- To knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware;
- To send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which:
- is defamatory of any person;
- is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory;
- promotes sexually explicit material;
- promotes violence;
- promotes discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- infringes any copyright, database right, trade mark or other intellectual property right of any other person;
- is likely to deceive any person;
- is made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- promotes any illegal activity;
- is threatening, abusive or invades another’s privacy, or causes annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
- is likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- advertises for sale substances that are legal in law but are known to be abused;
- is used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or gives the impression that it emanate from us if this is not the case.
You also agree not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- any part of our site;
- any equipment or network on which our site is stored;
- any software used in the provision of our site; or
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
You may not apply with us or sign up or use our services for the purposes of testing or vetting security measures in any way or format without our express written consent to do so.
In the event the bandwidth, number of websites or disk space usage of your account presents a risk to the stability, performance or up time of our servers, data storage, networking or other infrastructure, you may be required to cease all activity, or consider alternative arrangements, or we may take action to restrict the resources your services are utilising.
The storage that we allocate to you will not be used as a file storage method for purposes other than serving content for your open source project, and in any event may not contain the following content;
- Warez’ content or content commonly known to be pirated or illegal copies of software or other works;
- MP3’s or other audio formats of copyrighted music;
- Movie downloads in any format whether complete or in part;
- Pornographic material;
- Any content that is illegal under international, UK or European law;
- Image hosting scripts that allow an anonymous user to upload an image for display on another website;
- Banner advertising services for display on other websites or devices (commercial banner advertisement rotation);
- File dump/mirror scripts that allow anonymous users to upload a file for others to download;
- Commercial audio streaming (more than one or two streams);
- Push button mail scripts that allow the end user to specify recipient email addresses;
- Anonymous or bulk SMS gateways;
- Bittorrent trackers
- Any script that causes a degradation in the performance of our server or network environment;
We reserve the right to serve notice to suspend service, suspend service, or remove any files which do not comply with these rules
Proxy services are often used to hide the originating users true IP address or location. Unfortuantely this presents us with a number of issues relating to our obligations relating to security, finance and taxation and so accessing our services via proxy services is expressly prohibited. Where we find proxy services have been used to sign up for an account or to otherwise disguise the location of the account holder we reserve the right to terminate any accounts and services used in this manner without notice.
We will always do our best to be respectful and in our dealings with you, by email or IRC, treat you in the manner in which we ourselves would expect to be treated. We fully expect that our projects will treat us the same way.
That can be a challenge sometimes for both parties as we recognise that things can sometimes get frustrating. Computers do have errors (often caused by humans) and humans also make mistakes from time to time. Whether those computers or humans are either yours or ours, we expect that both parties will remain calm and deal with any issues that occur professionally.
On rare occasions a project will become threatening or abusive. This can manifest itself in the use of all capitals in email (considered in general internet terms as shouting) or the use of abusive language.
On such occasions we reserve the right not to answer the email or to hang up. We don’t need any abuse (the job can be challenging enough) and simply won’t tolerate it. If a project feels the need, do as we do – leave your desk and go for a walk. Breath. Talk to somebody and vent if you need to – just not at us.
Twitter & Social Media
We understand that social media is a great place to voice opinions, however it”s also often used as a platform to berate and abuse providers and to extort them with negative PR. This is often to push them into giving people their own way.
Abusing us on social media is also something we have a zero tolerance against. We wouldn’t dream of abusing you over social media, so we don’t expect our projects to abuse us. We understand that people may use it to voice dissatisfaction however we expect that projects remain civil and act with civility at the very least, as we will.
Abusive behaviour over social media may result in termination of your account. If appropriate we may also report offensive comments or behavior to the relevant authorities.
Suspension and termination
We will determine, in our sole discretion, whether you have breached this acceptable use policy. When a breach of this policy has occurred, we may take such action as we deem appropriate.
Failure to comply with this acceptable use policy constitutes a material breach of our Standard Terms and Conditions and, in addition to our rights contained therein, may result in our taking all or any of the following additional actions:
- legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach;
- further legal action against you;
- disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary.
We exclude liability for actions taken in response to breaches of this acceptable use policy. The responses described in this policy are not limited, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
If you have a complaint then there are ways in which you can address them.
Your first port of all is an email to admin [at] fosshost.org with full details of your complaint. You should make sure you provide as much detail as possible including a timeline of events if applicable, the details of any of our team that you have dealt with, any relevant trouble ticket numbers. In short, as much information as you can to help us conduct a thorough review of your complaint.
The complaint will be received and reviewed by a board member who will consider all of the information available and who may contact you to ask further questions if appropriate.
We will do everything we can to deal with any complaint raised and if we can find a way to resolve any issue to your satisfaction we will.
Sometimes things just don’t work out.
Although we try our best, and although we know both ourselves and our projects have the best intentions at heart, things might get to a point where they are not working out for either party.
It may be that you just cannot understand our systems or processes or perhaps you can’t understand how to use things. It may be that we, try as we might, cannot satisfy your requirements.
Just as you can leave or choose not to renew your services with us without giving a reason we may decide that in everyones best interest and to avoid further anguish we will not renew your service with us.
Of course we really hope and will try our best to ensure that things don’t get to that stage, however if they do, we’ll be sure to give you at least a months notice to give you a chance to make alternative arrangements.
Changes to our acceptable use policy
We may revise this acceptable use policy at any time by amending this page. You are expected to check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes we make, as they are legally binding on you and form part of your contract with us. Some of the provisions contained in this acceptable use policy may also be superseded by provisions or notices published elsewhere on our site.